Tuesday 13 December 2011

Winter Projects - Inspired by Kirstie

With motorhoming adventures behind us until 2012 (note to self - write post about most recent m/home adventure) my mind and fingers are turning to cosy indoor pursuits.  I enjoy trying my hand at different crafts so after watching Kirstie Allsopp's WI friends do a jolly good job on producing a mirror with a mosaic frame for their exhibit at one of the County Shows I looked around for a suitable mosaic related project.

Hmm.  This gives me an idea!
I spotted a scruffy, brown, but solid coffee table at a local charity shop for £5, stripped off the torn and stained leatherette top and what did I have left?  A nice recessed space for - you guessed it - a mosaic.  After giving the legs and frame a couple of coats of paint, clear varnish and an antique finish I set about the design, which was perhaps too curvy. Covering this in random bits of tile, was sometimes fiddly and frustrating, although enjoyable overall.

Getting There.

It's almost finished. I'm pleased with the effect, but the grout seems to have shrunk and some of the very tiny bits of tile stick up and are sharp.  So tomorrow I'm going to sandpaper the sharp edges and top up the grout.  Of course being me I couldn't make do with white grout, I had to colour it, so I'm going to have to try and mix the same shade again!  I shall report on progress!

Incidentally Kirstie Allsopp and her WI friends' theme for their competition entry was The Secret Garden.  One of my all time favourite books.  Looking forward to Malvern Theatre's production of it in the New Year.

No comments: